I've been wanting to get this part of the adventure posted here for quite awhile, but until now, I couldn't start new threads, at least new threads with links to photobucket pix. As previously posted, we, (we being myself Dennis Had and Panomaniac) had been playing around with a set of UREI 604-8Gs in an OB set up and a new custom crossover designed by Dennis and tweaked by both Pano and Dennis. Pano had gone back over to his shop on a later occasion when I was unable to attend, and had finished the up the mods on the crossover to his satisfaction. I finally pried the set up out of Dennis' hands and brought it back to the mancave....
Here is the finished crossover. Hopefully Pano can pull himself away from enjoying life in paradise and add his two cents worth, but these crossovers are the best I've heard on 604s....
Dennis has given me permission to make these part of the public domain, but there's no schematic, so if anyone is truly interested, I can reverse engineer these and post the schematic...
Moving right along, when Pano moved back to Hawaii, he sold me a pair of 416-8As. A few weeks ago, I realized I had the spare parts lying around to start a project that's been on the bucket list for awhile - Altec loaded corner horns, affectionately nicknamed Altecrats.
I have a set of BOTL EV Aristocrats lying around for a number of years, and I've always been intrigued by the idea of replacing the EV SP12B with real components. Additionally I have also been impressed with the sound that PWK could produce out of a corner horn with so - so drivers. After a few quick measurements to confirm that my spare parts would fit, this is what I came up with....
I'm using the crossover from the 604s which I was told crosses over in the 1300-1400Hz range. The horn goes down to 1250 per the spec sheet, so hopefully it's working as intended.
The sound? - Very similar to the 604s actually. A little less bright, with better/fuller/richer bass. That might be partially due to placement and enclosure design, but these aren't in a corner, yet seem to dig deeper. I'll bring these over to Dennis' shop next week and drop them off for some additional tuning, so we'll see where they wind up. They need some additional internal bracing, and better insulation material. I have the front frames set aside for when they are finished and the drivers are covered with some black speaker fabric I have reserved for just such an application. More later.....


















Bookmarks